Monday, August 29, 2016

Week Four

Hey guys

This week has been pretty crazy. We had to wake up super early at like
3 and get ready. I wasn't really that tired on the way here but I did
sleep on the plane. I was super excited to leave the MTC but I kind of
want to go back. It was really hard to leave Elder Huntley because of
how close we got in the MTC and it is a lot different being out in the
field. My new companion is Elder Moore. He is a really good teacher
and I know I can learn a lot from him but we just haven't bonded like
I did with Elder Huntley. It is different only being with one person
all the time than being with my district. Elder Moore can't drive so I
get to drive already which is awesome because I really missed
driving. I get to drive a Jeep Compass and it's a really cool car and
most people that are new to an area usually don't start off driving.
Elder Moore just has to tell me where to go. So far I have been
driving more than biking. If we go to a different town to proselyte we
put the bikes on the car and drive there since they are like 10-15
miles away. Elder Moore has been here for awhile now so he knows his
way around pretty good.  Getting to the apartment has been pretty
hectic because they had bed bugs so we had to kind of move back in and
we didn't have beds and so we are sleeping on mattresses on the floor
in our living room. The branch has been super helpful especially
Sister Burton, they have gotten us blankets, an ironing board, garbage
cans, a couch, and a chair for study. It has been super nice going to
dinners we have a lot of left overs.    

Since getting here I have had to get used to the humidity. It is ways
different than Idaho and it has been pretty warm. We have study in the
morning til 10 so I usually don't feel what is like in the morning.
Brother Brimhall was telling me about the tornadoes and how cold
winter was haha

We have taught a lot of cool people already. The very first person I
went taught was a Russian named Igor. He is super smart and can tell
you anything but he is a Jew and believes that Christ hasn't come yet.
He makes bread and he gave us some to take home and it was so good. He
talks a lot though and it was hard to get a word in. We are teaching a
girl that goes by Little Fawn. She is Native American and can make all
the cool things like dream catchers and things like that. She lives
with her boyfriend and has two kids. Her oldest is named Ezra and he
has been coming to church the past couple of weeks. She just had a
baby a month ago so they haven't been to church for a while. She had a
hard life and had a lot of addictions to overcome but she seems like
she really wants to start living better. We taught a girl named Ashley
and Elder Moore said that he had never gotten into her
house but we were able to go inside and give her a blessing. We
invited her to be baptized and she said she had already been baptized.
We had to explain that it wasn't by the proper priesthood authority
and we invited her to church but she wanted to take a tour before.

Elder Moore and I have been having a lot of luck finding new
investigators and they seem really interested and are super nice. We
met this couple in their drive way and gave them a card and we are
meeting with them this week. We didn't catch their names tho. We
finally got a hold of some potential investigators that we hadn't been
able to meet yet. Tamara is the one that answered and she is a figure
skater and she works at four different rinks so she has to travel a
lot. She said we can come back and actually have a lesson with her but
that's only if we can catch them home. She is super nice and I think
she will want to talk to us about it more.

My first Sunday was really good we have to be to church early for
meetings and then after we have to go out and teach some more. But it was
good to start meeting all the members and getting to know them. I am
excited for p day tho because it is really hard to adjust to
missionary life. For me it wasn't hard until I got here but Gordon B.
Hinkley tells a story that really helped me. He says, “I was not well
when I arrived. Those first few weeks, because of illness and the
opposition which we felt, I was discouraged. I wrote a letter home to
my good father and said that I felt I was wasting my time and his
money. He was my father and my stake president, and he was a wise and
inspired man. He wrote a very short letter to me which said, ‘Dear
Gordon, I have your recent letter. I have only one suggestion: forget
yourself and go to work.’ Earlier that morning in our scripture class
my companion and I had read these words of the Lord: ‘Whosoever will
save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my
sake and the gospel’s, the same shall save it.’  I know that I am here
for a reason and that I can change lives and I have already seen that
I can. I got to do like Hinckley's father said forget yourself and go
to work. It has been getting easier but their are still times I
struggle. I love you guys and I'll talk to you next week.  

Elder Bullock


Elder Moore and I at the apartment in New Prague, MN
Jeep Compass I get to drive

My desk at the apartment

My room at the apartment

No comments:

Post a Comment